Catastrophic Medical Malpractice Atlanta
Experienced Atlanta, GA Lawyer for Catastrophic Medical Malpractice Cases
Catastrophic medical malpractice can result in permanent disability or even death for its victims. For this reason, individuals who have suffered due medical malpractice can obtain compensation for their injuries. By securing an experienced Atlanta, GA lawyer for catastrophic medical malpractice cases the victim and his or her family will be able to start the process of recovering from their injuries.
What is Catastrophic Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when the patient suffers injury or death due to the negligence of his or her healthcare providers. Examples of medical malpractice on the part of a healthcare provider can include the following actions:
• Failing to promptly treat the patient’s health condition, resulting in avoidable health problems.
• Failing to properly diagnose the patient’s health issues.
• Prescribing or administering incorrect medication to the patient.
• Failing to properly supervise nurses and other healthcare providers during the patient’s recovery.
• Committing egregious errors during a surgical procedure.
In all of these cases, the patient will often suffer long-term side effects from his or her maltreatment. These effects can include the need to endure other medical procedures in order to rectify the errors in treatment, long-term disability, and in some cases, death. In many cases, the worst symptoms may not manifest until sometime after the treatment, making it vital that the victim consult with an attorney skilled in developing a persuasive malpractice case.
Types of Compensation
When an individual suffers from catastrophic medical malpractice, he or she can obtain compensation from the court. In general, malpractice compensation is divided into real damages and punitive damages.
Real damages are focused on compensating the individual for the actual damage caused by the medical malpractice. This category includes a wide range of factors, and the victim may receive compensation for the following types of damage:
• The costs of any current or future medical treatment the victim must receive, including long-term rehabilitation or care.
• Compensation for lost wages and work opportunities.
• Compensation for pain and suffering, including both physical and mental anguish.
• If the victim is crippled or killed, his or her family can receive compensation for any lost companionship and support from their loved one.
Because estimating the proper amount of real damages to claim can be a very complex issue, it is important to have a lawyer present who can effectively present the victim’s case to the court. An experienced Atlanta, GA lawyer for catastrophic medical malpractice cases can help ensure that all of the victim’s will receive full compensation from the defendants for all of his or her real damages.
Punitive damages are imposed in cases of egregious negligence or actual malice. These damages can be imposed on more than one individual or group. For example, a hospital that failed to remove an alcoholic employee would be liable for punitive damages due to its failure to adequately supervise its employees. Ultimately, by finding an experienced Atlanta, GA lawyer for catastrophic medical malpractice cases, the victims of medical malpractice and their families alike can obtain a just compensation. In many cases, having a skilled attorney present will convince the defendant to settle out of court, eliminating the need for a long and stressful trial. For this reason, anyone who has suffered from any type of catastrophic medical malpractice should immediately contact the law offices of James R. Haug in order to schedule a consultation to determine how best to proceed with his or her case.
Haug Law Group, LLC