Skip to content

Who do you call to report nursing home abuse?

Who do you call to report nursing home abuse?

In the city of Atlanta, reporting nursing home abuse is the first step in protecting patients. Nursing home abuse can be difficult to detect. Unfortunately, abuse can go on for years before it is discovered and reported. Reporting your suspicions can not only help to save your loved one, but the loved ones of others.

There are steps to be taken to report suspected abuse properly. Follow these steps if you believe that your loved one has become a victim.

  1. Call 800-677-1116. This is the Eldercare Locator. The people staffing the phones can help you learn the proper steps in reporting abuse in your state.
  2. The National Center on Elder Abuse by the Administration of Aging is another good source for locating information about reporting abuse in a specific state. You may be given a single hotline to call or a variety of contacts.
  3. Speak with your loved one’s primary care physician or another member of their immediate healthcare team. This is, of course, assuming that you do not believe one of these people to be a part of the abuse.
  4. If your loved one is severely injured or apparently injured, call 911. This is an emergency situation and the police will investigate. You should also contact an Atlanta nursing home abuse lawyer for assistance.

After you report suspected abuse, you will want to move your loved one to a different facility. This should only be done after you research the available care facilities in your area.